Algal Evolution and Ecology group at Centre Algatech, Institute of Microbiology Trebon (Czech Republic) is seeking a postdoctoral researcher in molecular genetics. The group is led by Jan Janouskovec and Eva Horakova. We study evolution, ecology, and molecular biology of microalgae and heterotrophic protists (PNAS 114:E171–E180; Curr Biol 27(23), eLife 8:e49662; Nat Commun 13:7075).
We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher with a strong background in molecular biology for research on microalgal photosynthesis. The project aims to understand little known steps in the biogenesis of chlorophylls and carotenoids and use this knowledge to explore pigment synthesis in vitro. The work will focus on model phototrophs Synechocystis, Chlamydomonas and Phaeodactylum.
We seek candidates with:
- a Ph.D. degree in molecular biology or a related field. Experience with cloning, cell transformation, nucleic acid and protein analysis and basic biochemistry is highly desired.
- independent thinking, motivation and strong communication skills.
- first-author publications in well-established journals and a record of research excellence.
- strong, individual supervision with opportunities for networking and guiding Ph.D. and MSc. students.
- opportunities to work abroad and present data at international meetings.
- contract for up to 3 years extended yearly based on individual performance.
- pay based on Czech academic pay grades with full health and dental insurance coverage and generous benefits including paid vacation of 30 days per year and lunch & recreation vouchers.
- International work environment and collaboration with universities in the EU and UK.
Centre Algatech hosts several internationally recognized groups in microbiology research with a high proportion of foreign researchers and a friendly, collegial atmosphere, and English as working language. We have been funded by prestigious awards (ERC, EXPRO), have outstanding facilities for molecular biology and biochemistry research and have strong ties with the University of South Bohemia and the Czech Academy of Sciences.
- Motivation letter detailing your fit for the position (max.1 page)
- Curriculum vitae with a complete list of peer-reviewed publications (max. 2 pages)
- Contact information for 2 academic referees (please do not include letters with the application)