Workplace: Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract (with possible extension), non-academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40hours per week)
Expected Start Date: upon agreement
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: CZK 50.000 per month before taxation
EU Researcher Profile: R2
Application Deadline: August 31, 2021
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Chemistry at the Faculty of Science MU offers a postdoctoral position in materials chemistry and heterogeneous catalysis. Selected candidate will join the Laboratory of Advanced Materials and Precursors Synthesis led by prof. Jiří Pinkas and will participate on a research project tackling carbon dioxide utilization in a topical reaction with epoxides.
- To synthesize new heterogeneous catalysts based on silica by advanced non-aqueous methods
- To characterize prepared materials by various physico-chemical methods (i.e., IR and MAS NMR spectroscopy, porosimetry, XRD,…)
- To test new catalysts in various reactions with a special focus on a coupling of epoxides with carbon dioxide
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- Ph.D. Degree in chemistry
- Experience in research at least 4 years (Ph.D. studies included)
- Solid knowledge and experience in materials chemistry and heterogeneous catalysis (knowledge of non-aqueous synthetic methods highly appreciated)
- Ability to independently design and perform materials syntheses and characterization (i.e., IR and NMR spectroscopy, porosimetry, thermal analysis, X-ray powder diffraction)
- Good communication skills (oral and written) in English
- Fundamental skills in scientific writing
- Participation on a brand new research project “Tailored Catalysts for Carbon Dioxide Utilization”
- International collaboration (UCLouvain, Belgium, Institut Charles Gerhardt Montpellier, France, Universtity of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA)
- Pleasant working place in a modern university campus
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by August 31, 2021 via an e-application here.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers.
Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!