PhD Positions in Insect symbiosis
Novakova group, Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice announces openings of two doctoral positions in the field of insect symbiosis starting between January and March 2022.
The positions are funded for a 4-year period. The selected candidates will be involved in the project entitled Vectors, symbionts and pathogens: a complex story of Triatominae microbiomes funded by Junior Star scheme of Czech Science Foundation. The project main aims are to explore environmental determinants of the microbiome, its transmission, structural and ontogenetic changes, metabolic and immune interaction with host cells, and finally its interaction with pathogens. From the methodological point of view, the project relies on experimental manipulation of the laboratory colonies and extensive field sampling of North American native species. It employs advanced tools for metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, and high-end visualization methods (FISH and laser confocal microscopy, EM).
The project offers collaboration with two US partnering laboratories, including funds for annual short-term research visits. Long-term scientific visits are supported under the general scheme of doctoral programs at the Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia. The group enjoys highly diverse international environment and its members are guaranteed direct access to Confocal Microscopy facility, Electron Microscopy facility, MetaCentrum supercomputing facilities, 4 in-house servers and BSL2 level laboratory. The laboratory is well equipped for high-throughput processing setup and in-house sequencing with Illumina MiSeq. More info can be found on https://sites.google.com/view/novakovalab.
- Master degree in evolutionary biology, microbiology, parasitology, entomology, genomics, bioinformatics or related relevant field
- solid proficiency with standard molecular techniques
- excellent English knowledge (written and oral)
- experience with bash, advanced microscopy (SEM, TEM, LCSM), microbiome analyses, transcriptomics and/or genomics is an advantage
Documents to submit
- Contact information for references
- Scanned proof of master degree
- Brief description of prior research, skills, experiences and interests (Motivation letter - a single page)
General information on doctoral studies at the Department of Parasitology can be found at https://www.prf.jcu.cz/en/kpa/studies/information-for-phd-students.html