RECETOX is the European Centre of Excellence in Environmental Health Science and a coordinator of EIRENE, new ESFRI infrastructure for human exposome research in Europe. Supported by the EU Horizon 2020 Teaming project (2020-2026) it develops ambitious research and education programmes in a close partnership with University College London and ETH Zurich. It studies toxic compounds and their behavior, transport & bioaccumulation to evaluate environmental effects, assess the exposure and health risks to humans, and develop technologies and biotechnologies to break them down. https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en
Research topic and job description
We are searching for a talented, highly motivated scientist for a postdoctoral position in the area environmental chemistry to join the research group of Professor Martin Scheringer (https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en/research/principal-investigators/prof-martin-scheringer) and Assistant Prof. Lisa Melymuk (https://www.recetox.muni.cz/vyzkum/lide/dr-lisa-melymuk) The prospective scientist will join the European Partnership for the Assessment of Risks from Chemicals (PARC), specifically working on evaluating information transfer schemes and procedures, databases, availability of information, and enforcement methods for chemicals in consumer products and materials. The position will require good understanding of chemicals of emerging concern used as additives in consumer products and materials, chemical regulations and regulatory structures, and willingness to collaborate closely with colleagues at chemical agencies, notably Kemi (Swedish Chemicals Agency) and ECHA (European Chemicals Agency). The project will be carried out in close collaboration with Kemi.
PARC is an EU-wide research and innovation programme under Horizon Europe to support EU and national chemical risk assessment and risk management bodies with new data, knowledge, methods, networks and skills to address current, emerging and novel chemical safety challenges.
Skills and Qualifications
Candidate should have
- Ph.D. certification in the area of environmental chemistry, modelling, chemical or environmental engineering
- Experience in setting up databases and handling extensive data sets
- Enthusiasm and eagerness to gain insight into the research topic
- Experience and high motivation to present and publish scientific results
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal English communication and teamwork skills
- Vibrant working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- A dynamic group surrounded by an international team of experts
- Involvement in national and international projects
- Employee benefits: 6 weeks of leave per year, health insurance, pension insurance contribution, meal vouchers, discounted language courses, etc.
- Support with your relocation – more information here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/international-staff-office-iso
- Brno provides a high quality of life (recommended as 2nd city in Europe worth visiting https://www.timeout.com/europe/things-to-do/best-city-breaks-in-europe); it is a university city with lots of cultures and very family-friendly https://brnoregion.com/work
- We offer an initial appointment for two years with possible extension upon mutual satisfaction.
Applicants should provide the following information in English
- CV (European standard recommended)
- Summary of publications and research outputs
- A statement of research interests
- Names and contact details of at least 2 professional referees
- Ph.D. certification
The deadline for applications is on 1 June 2022. A review of applications will run continuously as they are received and until the position is filled. The short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for personal or Teams interviews.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section in this link: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/70600). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the second largest university city in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports, together with the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.
Visit our Career page.