A postdoctoral position in Senior Research Group Chemistry of Natural Products (headed by Dr. Ullrich Jahn) is available for a highly motivated and creative scientist with expertise in organic chemistry.
The project aims at an interdisciplinary approach to the development of a new class of inhibitors of voltage gated calcium channels (VGCCs) and the study of their properties in relationship to chronic pain. The organic chemistry part is focused on synthesis strategies of small organic molecules with heterocyclic skeletons, which will be studied with respect to ion channel pharmacological activities, and in vivo analgesic properties.
The successful candidate has a strong expertise in organic chemistry, can independently design and perform syntheses of complex molecules, develop synthetic methodology, has experience with all relevant analytical and lab techniques, and is able to analyse and summarize experimental data. The candidate collaborates and participates in group activities, is organized, self-motivated, and enthusiastic to be part of a project linked to drug discovery and can communicate and write proficiently in English.
- Ph.D. degree in organic chemistry
- Working in a young, promising, and progressive scientific team of organic and medicinal chemists, biologists, computational chemists, and biochemists.
- Competitive financial remuneration
- Further education and training
- 5 weeks of paid vacation plus 4 days of personal leave
- Health insurance and full benefits package incl. contribution to supplementary pension insurance and contribution to sports / culture/ leisure time
- Meal subsidy
- Financial support for parents with young children
- State-of-the-art instrumentation portfolio
- Location in the stunning city of Prague
- The starting date of the position is set for April 2024
- Initial full-time fixed-term contract for one year, with possibility of extension for another 1-2 years
How to apply:
Suitable candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview. Please note that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks, we have given preference to candidates who more closely meet the criteria. Thank you for your understanding.
IOCB Prague / Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Czech Academy of Sciences is a leading internationally recognized scientific institution whose primary mission is the pursuit of basic research in chemical biology and medicinal chemistry, organic and materials chemistry, chemistry of natural substances, biochemistry and molecular biology, physical chemistry, theoretical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. An integral part of the IOCB Prague’s mission is the implementation of the results of basic research in practice. Emphasis on interdisciplinary research gives rise to a wide range of applications in medicine, pharmacy, and other fields.